Palatoplasty For Sleep Apnea & Snoring
What Is Palatoplasty?
A Palatoplasty is a minimally-invasive sleep apnea procedure that shrinks the size of an enlarged or elongated uvula using laser technology. The treatment opens up the airway and provides relief from symptoms of snoring and sleep apnea. The laser-assisted palatoplasty is an in-office procedure that usually takes less than 30 minutes and performed using local anesthesia.
Why Is Palatoplasty Performed?
Board-certified ear, nose, and throat specialists at Sinus Center Los Angeles perform palate reduction surgery by:
- Decrease the size of uvula
- Decrease loudness of snoring
- Limit uvula vibration during breathing
- Manage mild to moderate sleep apnea
What Does Palatoplasty Involve?
Using heat technology, the uvula and its surrounding area are targeted to gently remove excess tissue and reduce the size of the uvula, resulting in a larger airway and less chance of a blocked airway during sleep. The precision and control afforded by the technology minimize damage to surrounding tissue and results in faster recovery. Implants to tighten the palate can be combined with the ablation – heat technique.
What Are The Benefits Of Having Palatoplasty?
- Minimally invasive procedure
- Performed in a single office visit
- Local anesthetic used to ease discomfort
- Provides results with less discomfort than traditional uvula palate removal surgery (UPPP uvulopalatopharyngoplasty)
- Significantly decreases snoring intensity within weeks
- Minimal throat soreness (speaking is not impacted)
- Normal activity can be resumed quickly
If you are suffering from sleep apnea and believe you may benefit from palatoplasty, the first step is to consult with a sleep health expert. Ear, nose, and throat specialist Dr C. Philip Amoils at Sinus Center Los Angeles has extensive experience in treating sleep apnea with minimally invasive procedures. Fill out the form on this page to schedule an appointment or to learn more about Sinus Center LA’s treatment options.